Sometimes you or family members are allergic to eggs, or don’t like eggs or just can’t stand eggs. Well, you or your loved don’t have to miss out on eating baked goodies because of eggs allergies anymore.
There is Good News! There are easy healthy vegan alternatives to using eggs in baking. We shall look at one of the best options of replacing eggs, using Chia Seeds. A whole egg adds an important amount of moisture, fat, structure, and leavening to baked goods like cookies and cakes. To replace an egg, we need to replace every aspect of what an egg provides to baked goods.
When combined with liquid, the outer layer of the seed swells and forms a gel. This makes Chia seeds very good for replacing eggs in recipes. Best of all Chia Seeds have no taste or smell so you’re baked goodies will taste great!
But first, a short history about Chia Seeds.
Chia Seeds are the edible seeds from a flowering desert plant related to mint, salvia hispanica, which grows in Mexico and was regularly used in Mayan and Aztec cultures. In Mayan, the word “Chia” means strength, which is true because these little powerhouses are full of nutrients that have been depended on by warriors for added energy.
In current days, health enthusiasts and those on weight loss programs, enjoy the many benefits of Chia Seeds such as:
- Good for Arthritis
- High in Antioxidants
- Gluten Free
- Prevents Cancer
- Assist in Weight Loss
- Cleanses the Colon
- Reduces Inflammation
- Strengthens Immune System
- Regularizes Blood Sugar Levels
- Promotes healthy skins, nails and hair
- Excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acid
Now that we know Chia Seeds are very good for us, here is our recipe for Chia Seeds Eggs substitute:
Super Easy Recipe for Chia Seed Egg Substitute:
You will Need:
1. Organic Chia Seeds. Amount will depend on number of eggs being replaced. The general rule is 1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds replaces 1 Egg.
2. Drinking Water – 3 Tbsps
3. Pinch of Baking Soda
How to Make:
1. In a bowl, put 1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds. Option to grind them in a grinder to make them into powder.
2. Pour in the 3 Tbsp of drinking water
3. Mix well and let it sit for 20-30 min. The mixture will thicken to a gel-like consistency.
4. Before using in a recipe, mix in a pinch of baking soda.
Use this recipe to replace eggs in your bread, cakes, cookies, muffin recipes and enjoy!
Other Recipe ideas of how to use this Chia Seed Egg Substitute:
- Sweet treats: Make frozen chia popsicles with puréed fruit, chia seeds, and nut milk, poured into popsicle molds.
- Chia seed pudding: This chia pudding recipe makes a very nice breakfast or dessert. Combine 6 tablespoons of chia seeds with 2 cups of nut milk, a teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Allow to sit 1-2 hours in the refrigerator (or overnight), then divide into two servings and enjoy with fresh fruit.
- Smoothies: A couple of tablespoons can be added to shakes and smoothies to up your daily vitamins naturally.
- Beverages: Soak some chia seeds in lemon or lime juice and add some sparkle to your favorite cold juice.
We hope you will try out the recipe! Let us know how it goes.
For any questions, consult our in-house Nutritionist for Free on +254-713-607956.